Hearin Scholarship Application
For Undergraduates with Covid-19 Economic Hardships
Student support is available through a generous donation by the Hearin Foundation. This one-time funding will be used to assist students who have experienced a significant change in their financial need due to pandemic-related losses of parent or student income or job. Awards are typically no more than $3,000.
Download the application here.
- Must have filed a FAFSA (U.S. citizens or permanent residents only).
- Must be a full-time, degree-seeking student.
- Must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress OR be approved for financial aid probation.
- Must provide documentation of the financial situation (e.g. “separation of work” letters, small business quarterly reports comparing this year to last, unemployment benefits.)
- Ole Miss Opportunity and Red & Blue Scholarship recipients will not qualify. These awards already fill the gap up to a set scholarship cap, so adding more gift aid will merely reduce them dollar-for-dollar.
- Any student who is an immediate family member (spouse or child) of the University of Mississippi staff, administration, or faculty will not qualify.
- If citing parent loss of income or job as the hardship, student must be classified as a “dependent” who reported this parent’s information on the FAFSA.
Application Submission Instructions
- EMAIL IS DISCOURAGED AS IT IS LESS SECURE.
- We encourage you to submit your application and supporting documents in the myOleMiss portal via Secure Document Exchange to firstname.lastname@example.org. Instructions on how to do so are here.
- You may also submit by fax (662-915-1164) or in-person (257 Martindale Student Services on campus), or by mail (address at bottom of page).
- For each submission, be sure that your full name and UM Student Number are on each page.
- All applications will be reviewed by Financial Aid and students will be contacted if additional information is needed.
- Once a complete application is received (including all supporting documents) and a decision has been made, the student will be notified by email or phone.
- If awarded, in order to get your funds faster, we encourage you to set up Direct Deposit with the Office of the Bursar here. Otherwise, a check will be mailed to the permanent address that the University has on file for you.
If you do not meet the eligibility requirements of this scholarship, but have experienced a financial hardship, contact us to discuss your situation by phone (Toll Free National Help Line: 1-800-891-4596) or by email (email@example.com).
The University of Mississippi
Office of Financial Aid
P.O. Box 1848
257 Martindale Student Services Center
University, MS 38677-1848