Office of Financial Aid

University of Mississippi

What to Do if You Have a “Prior Year Balance” Hold

You currently owe the University over $200 for charges incurred in a prior academic year. No federal aid for the 2020-2021 academic year will be disbursed to your bursar account until this matter has been resolved. All outstanding charges that were assessed prior to the beginning of Fall Semester 2020 are considered prior year charges. Federal regulations prohibit the use of the 2020-2021 financial aid to pay a prior balance of over $200. You should contact the Office of the Bursar to arrange for payment of your bill. Failure to pay this balance before Fall Semester will result in a hold being put on your student record, which will prevent you from adding/dropping classes and may result in your Fall schedule being cancelled. If you need financial assistance to pay this balance, please explore a private loan specifically designed to cover prior year balances.  Lenders who offer this type of product can be found at the following website by clicking on the Apply Now link: