MISSISSIPPI UNDERGRADUATES CAN RECEIVE ONLY ONE STATE GRANT PER TERM
On 3-27-17, the Mississippi Office of Student Financial Aid announced that changes would be made to the state grant programs beginning with the 2017-18 academic year.
Based on current appropriations, the Legislature eliminated the “stacking” of undergraduate grants. The following programs are included in this new rule:
- Mississippi Tuition Assistance Grant (MTAG)
- Mississippi Eminent Scholars Grant (MESG)
- Higher Education Legislative Plan for Needy Students (HELP)
- Mississippi Law Enforcement Officers & Firemen Scholarship (LAW)
- Nissan Scholarship
What that means is that even if you are eligible for more than one grant program, you will only be able to receive aid through the program that will award you the larger amount.
For example, an MTAG and MESG-eligible student can only receive MESG, since the award amount is larger. An MTAG and HELP-eligible student will only receive HELP.
Since your package currently contains one or more state awards, the Office of Financial Aid will be reviewing your awards and removing the ineligible grants.
*Also, please note that the Legislature now requires eligibility checks (grade and hours) at the conclusion of every term for ALL programs, including MESG, HELP, LAW, and all loan programs.
For more information, please contact:
- Financial Aid at 800-891-4596, or
- The MS Office of Student Financial Aid at http://riseupms.com/state-aid/contact-state-financial-aid/ , 800-327-2980, or 601-432-6997.