- The student must be a resident of Attala, Carroll, Choctaw, Montgomery or Webster County in Mississippi who desires and can benefit from a higher education.
- All applicants must have resided for 12 continuous months in one of the five Sumners counties prior to enrollment.
- All applicants must be enrolled in a degree program at the institution. Teacher certification courses may also be approved (except for visiting students) if documented as such by the School of Education.
- The amount of the Sumners Grant shall not exceed the cost of attendance when combined with all other types of aid received by the student (including institutional and other scholarships/grants, military stipends, veterans’ benefits).
- Independent students who have not established a residence in one of the Sumners counties may not establish eligibility by the address of parents who reside in one of the eligible counties.
- If you withdraw from the university within the 100 percent institutional refund period (the first 10 days of classes), any scholarship that has already credited to your bursar account must be repaid in full.
- How to Apply: You must complete the form online and indicate the academic year for which you are applying. The Sumners Foundation verifies residency in the appropriate counties for all applicants.
- Amount: Since the amount received by The University of Mississippi from the Sumners Trust may vary each year, as will the number of students enrolled from each of the eligible counties, it is possible that grant amounts may also vary from one year to the next. The following illustrates our current awarding expectations.
Anticipated Award Amounts
|Full Time||$3,700 per semester||$7,400 per academic year|
|3/4 Time||$2,750 per semester||$5,500 per academic year|
|Half-Time||$1,850 per semester||$3,700 per academic year|
|Less than Half-Time||$ 925 per semester||$1,850 per academic year|
Course Load Definitions per Semester (in hours)
|Full Time||3/4 Time||Half-Time||Less than Half-Time|
|Undergraduate||12 or more||9-11||6-8||Less than 6|
|Graduate||9 or more||7-8||5-6||Less than 5|
|Law||10 or more||8-9||5-7||Less than 5|
|Pharm.D.||12 or more||9-11||6-8||Less than 6|
- Renewal Requirements
- A student must maintain satisfactory academic progress as determined by the Office of Financial Aid.
- Application must be made annually.
- All other criteria must be met, including continued residency in a Sumners county.
- The recipient cannot receive this award for more than one degree at the same level (e.g., one undergraduate degree, one master’s degree).