skip to main content
Office of Financial Aid
University of Mississippi

Emancipated Minor

When you filed your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you reported that you are an emancipated minor. Before we can determine your eligibility for financial aid, you must document your emancipated minor status. This can be done by:

  • Providing a copy of a court’s decision that as of today you are an emancipated minor,


  • Providing a copy of a court’s decision that you were an emancipated minor before you reached the age of being an adult (majority) in your state.

Emancipation of a minor is a legal procedure that frees children from the custody and control of their parents or guardians before they reach the age of majority. The age of majority for each state is determined by that individual state.

The United States Department of Education does not recognize Emancipation of a Mississippi Resident as being valid to establish independent student status for Federal Financial Aid.

Documentation of your emancipated minor status must be provided before we can continue processing your application for financial assistance.

Students can upload appropriate documentation through the Student Forms Self-Service Portal. All students must first create a Student Forms account; please visit for information on how to set up your account.